Working overseas

If you’re applying to work overseas, you need to be aware that the laws on disclosing criminal records in the UK (such as the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act) don’t apply.

Alongside any specific entry requirements of the country, the employer may also have their own policies and practices (depending on the countries disclosure laws) around asking for criminal records.

It’s not possible for this site to go into detail about the laws of different countries.

However, some employers overseas may require you to obtain a copy of your criminal record from the UK.

Depending on your role, you may be able to provide a basic disclosure. However, some employers may require you to provide more information.

ACRO provide an International Child Protection Certificate which may be required by some employers where you are working with children. This will disclose all criminal convictions and cautions held on the PNC.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email