Practical information & advice
Read our latest information and advice posts about leaving prison
Here you’ll find links to various parts of this site where we have information and useful resources relating to leaving prison.
Our work as a charity is generally focused on the issues that people face after release from prison, or just generally because of their criminal record. However, we have a few useful sections of information relating to prison:
- Resettlement services
- Education in prison
- Working for an outside employer while still in prison
- Licence conditions
- Supervision in the community (after release from prison and on probation or a community order
- Prison records
If you’re looking for legal advice on a prison matter, you might want to check out the Association of Prison Lawyers.
We’ve got details of some organisations that provide information and advice to families in our important links and organisations section.
Our work focuses on the issues faced by people once they are released from prison, rather than those just going into custody. You may find further information in the ‘Useful Links’ section of this page.
The GOV.uk site has some specific guides for people leaving prison who need to make a claim for Universal Credit.
- Universal Credit: guide for prison leavers who have a work coach
- Universal Credit: guide for prison leavers who don’t have a work coach
- Acceptable Identification checklist
Here you’ll find some of the common advice we give on prison. This is based on what we’ve learnt as a charity, as well as the real-life experiences of people with convictions.
- Our work as a charity is generally focused on the issues that people face after release from prison, or just generally because of their criminal record.
- There are a number of organisations that are focused specifically on prison issues – they will be better placed to deal with specific issues relating to prison. Their details can be found at the bottom of this page.
Frequently asked questions
Here you’ll find some specific questions that we regularly get about prison and the answers we generally provide. More detailed FAQ’s may be included in the information pages above.
Here you’ll find links to useful organisations and websites related to prison that we refer to in our information and advice.
Telephone Helpline: 0808 801 0308
Address: 1 Ardleigh Road, London N1 4HS
Telephone: 020 3752 5680
Address: The Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London, SE11 5RR or FREEPOST PRISONERS’ EDUCATION TRUST
Telephone: 01824 704535
Address: Unit 4 Ffordd yr Onnen, Lon Parcwr Business Park, Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15 1NJ
Housing and resettlement
Life in prison
Read personal stories
The personal stories below have been posted on theRecord, our online magazine.
Discuss this with others
Read and share your experiences of this on our online forum.
Key sections include:
- Prison – Working out whilst in prison