We are unable to give immigration advice as under UK immigration law, organisations can only provide this if they are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). Details of specialist immigration organisations can be found on our important links and organisations page.


Practical information & advice

Read our latest news posts about coming to (and staying) in the UK



Here you’ll find links to various parts of this site where we have information and useful resources relating to coming to (and staying in) the UK.

I’m looking to come to/stay in the UK – will my criminal record cause me a problem?

Possibly as both spent and unspent convictions will be taken into account as well as any traffic offences. Useful links include:

I’m a Spanish national with a criminal record and I’m currently working in the UK. I’m worried about my future once the UK leaves the EU.

In order to continue to live and work in the UK you’ll need to apply for settled or pre-settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme. A useful link is:

I’d like to move to the UK but have a recent criminal conviction. Is this likely to stop me?

A criminal record on its own is not the only thing that can stop somebody being permitted to the UK but it will be taken into account. A useful link is:

I’m a foreign national who has just been convicted of an offence in the UK. Am I likely to be deported?

If you’ve received a prison sentence of 12 months or more or have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment for a “serious crime” you may be subject to deportation. A useful link is:



Here you’ll find some of the common advice we give on coming to (and staying in) the UK. This is based on what we’ve learnt as a charity, as well as the real-life experiences of people with convictions.

  • If you’re applying for citizenship or right to remain, you will need to disclose all of your convictions, including those that are spent.


Frequently asked questions

Here you’ll find some specific questions that we regularly get about coming to (and staying in) the UK. More detailed FAQ’s may be included in the information pages above.

In any application for leave to remain, you will need to disclose your criminal record. If you have been convicted of an offence and were sentenced to over four years in prison, it is likely that your application will be refused. If your sentence was less than four years or you received a non-custodial sentence, then other timescales will be applicable before you can make an application.
Yes. Applications for leave to remain are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and you would therefore need to disclose it.
As applications for leave to remain are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act you will need to disclose your caution. Your application is likely to be refused for two years following receipt of the caution.
Disclosure will not necessarily stop you being granted leave to remain. The type of offence, the length of sentence, your immigration history and any patterns in re-offending will be taken into consideration.

If you fail to disclose, then this could be seen as an attempt to deceive the UK Visa and Immigration Department.

Yes you will. Most overseas convictions are treated as though they happened in the UK.
If you have been convicted under court martial or during any other military proceedings, you will need to disclose it on your application for leave to remain.

The process of applying for citizenship is slightly different to applying for leave to remain. We have information on both processes.

Useful links

Here you’ll find links to useful organisations and websites related to coming to (and staying in) the UK that we refer to in our information and advice. Contact details for the organisations listed below can be found here.

Discuss this with others

Read and share your experiences of this on our online forum.

Key sections include:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email