Standard disclosure


Standard Criminal Record Certificate (often known as a ‘Standard disclosure’ or a ‘Standard check’)

Issued by

Disclosure and Barring Service


For certain positions which are included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975. This includes when becoming approved by the Security Industry Authority and when applying to become a Solicitor or Barrister. Click here for more information.

What it contains

Convictions[1], both unspent and spent, held on the PNC which are not eligible for filtering. For each conviction, it includes the date of conviction, the court, the offence committed, the date of offence and the sentence/disposal.

How to apply

By post or online via a Registered Body

Who can apply for it

A Registered Body or an employer (using a Registered Body acting as an Umbrella Body) with your consent

Contact details

Contact details for Umbrella Bodies.  


£26 (free to volunteers). There is often a charge by an Umbrella Body to undertake the check on behalf of an employer, if the employer is not a Registered Body.

How long it  takes

Approximately 10 working days

Where it is sent

To you

Link to anonymous example

Standard copy 1

How to correct inaccurate information

  • If you need to correct inaccurate personal information, such as your name, date of birth or address, you need to raise a data entry dispute. More details are available on the DBS website.
  • However, if your conviction details are incorrect or inaccurate, you need to raise a data source dispute. This can be done online (you complete the form electronically, print and submit it by post). Alternatively, you can request a disputes form by post by calling 0870 9090 811

Other information

A standard certificate will contain all of the information that is contained in an enhanced certificate, except for relevant local police information that can be disclosed on enhanced certificates.

[1] Use of the word ‘convictions’ in this case refers to convictions, cautions, warnings and final reprimands. It does not include fixed penalty notices, penalty notices for disorder, or any other police or other out-of-court disposal

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
  • Alex no mates

    That’s a great story and i hope he realises how lucky he is to have a woman in his life. My biggest fear is disclosure to any potential future dates, i’m not even sure if i want a relationship but i know one thing that he did the right thing by telling you, i don’t think i could live with myself knowing i would be with someone and keeping something like that from them, it would eat me up inside and would be totally selfish. I’m pretty much resigned at the moment to spending the rest of my life on my own because i don’t feel that i deserve to know what love feels like

  • Alan

    Alex no mates
    I feel exactly the same don’t think I’ll ever have another partner
    I was with my partner of 9 years when I got arrested I just got my self into a situation she’s been my rock for the past year
    But over time it’s just become hard we have 2 kids together and I also have a child from a previous relationship which my ex has him every other weekend and brings him up so I can see him and I see my other 2 every weekend I’m unable to go to what is her house cause she doesn’t want the nieghbours kicking off she says she just cant risk the neighbors saying anything to the boys she doesn’t want them to hate me or think of me different
    I just spend half of my days crying over what Iv done and lost sounds really stupid but I just want my life back Iv lost 98% of my family and friends and the other 2% I can’t bear to see